Tex Mex Pasta
This recipe serves 1, however it can easily be multiplied or split into multiple portions if you are using it as a side dish.
- 2 oz whole wheat penne
- 1/2 cup of vegetable broth
- 2 oz shallots, chopped
- 3 oz chopped baby bella mushrooms
- 3 oz frozen (or fresh) kale
- 1/2 cup black beans (canned), rinsed
- 1/2 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1/2 cup “cheese” sauce (I am a fan of the Happy Herbivore version, vegan or diary based (1oz of shredded cheese of choice if using dairy based)
- 1/4 cup salsa verde
- 1/4 tsp chipotle chile flakes (optional)
- 100 calorie pack of guacamole (optional), served on the side
- Cook penne according to package directions.
- Heat 1/2 cup of vegetable broth in a separate pot until boiling.
- Add shallots, mushrooms and kale and simmer for 5 minutes until mushrooms soften and kale is cooked through.
- Add beans, corn, cheese sauce, and chipotle chile flakes. Stir until completely combined.
- Add cooked pasta.
- Stir and serve immediately.